Sunday, December 10, 2023

Bonus: Accessories, motivation, stupid talk

 A few random thoughts concerning working out over the long haul. Even though working out is a lifestyle for me, it still requires work. At this point in my life I have many minor aches and pains along with some overuse conditions.  My right shoulder has been bothering me for about 6 months. I also have arthritis and tight IT band in both knees. So I use the slingshot to help me bench, and I use compression knee sleeves with wraps to help in my speed walking workouts. I also take supplements to help with inflammation. I use Instaflex Advanced regularly. I tried to go cheap in the past, but this product definitely works for me. If it weren’t for the accessories and supplements then my workouts would not be possible. I would advise anyone to not be afraid to try something different to help with injuries and aches. Sometimes I stop and stretch if I feel an injury coming on. It’s better to take a moment of prevention rather than have to recover from injury. Sometimes I vary where on the crown of the road that I walk on to deal with body aches or tightness/aggravation. Small adjustments can be life savers.

 I also seek little things to motivate m or to elevate my spirits. I’m not talking about deep stuff here. Having faith and goals is already part of the picture. You also have to do things to lift your spirits— even if it’s minor or seemingly silly. Maybe the motivation is a new book to read. Maybe it’s a sports team or getting excited about a favorite player. Heck, I get excited about free agency acquisitions and trades. Maybe there is a news event that gets me excited. Maybe a family issue excites you or you need to focus on it for prayer. Maybe I get a new little gadget or am using a new app or technology. It’s these little things that make life interesting and can even serve as a major force in your day to day life.

  Lastly, I have to admit that I talk a lot to myself during my workouts( well, I talk to myself a lot period).  Usually it’s a random stupid phrase. As foolish as it may seem, this keeps me motivated. Sometimes I do a random Big Papi point to the sky motion. I sometimes am embarrassed to see a person witness me talking or gesturing to myself. 

 I wrote this piece to say that sometimes it’s a lot of little things that make the difference. It’s easy to ignore the little or seemingly foolish things— but I am finding that these little things are actually the difference makers. Have a blessed evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment